Where is runlevel 5?

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 12:03:09 UTC 2010

  On 08/26/2010 12:49 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> My continuing adventures in fedora 14 alpha have finally
> gotten it installed, and I can even boot, but it insists
> on coming up in runlevel 3 (apparently). It won't start
> KDM and I get no graphical login.

What happens if you start kdm in run level 3

> I have edited /etc/inittab to change :3: to :5: in the
> one line in there, but that didn't change anything.
> (Apparently it picked runlevel 3 as the default because
> X wouldn't work in the installer and I had to use VNC).

That wont work inittab is slowly being deprecated add 1, 3 or 5 to
kernel command line during start or in grub.conf directly instead.

So it seems you have encountered two bugs one in Anaconda and another in
KDM

> I can't find any logs that make it appear as though it
> even attempted to start X, but if I run "startx" manually
> after a console login, X starts up fine and everything
> appears to work, so there shouldn't be any fundamental
> obstacle blocking X startup.

The problem seems to be KDM not starting

JBG