F14 Alpha - First impressions

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Aug 26 20:06:47 UTC 2010

Fulko Hew wrote:

> a) I'm disappointed that I couldn't try it in VirtualBox v3.0.8,
>    but then again F13 wouldn't install there either.
>    (It might work under newer VirtualBox's, but thats all I have right now.
>    (The installation 'infinite loops during system loader phase with a
> stack trace')

If your hardware supports VM then why not run it under KVM? All I did to get it
working from CLI was:
   qemu-img create -f qcow2 fc14a3.img 6G
   qemu-kvm -m 1000 -hda fc14a3.img -cdrom Fedora14a3-LiveCD.iso -boot d

> b) I'm glad that it does (so far) attempt to install under QEMU
>    (under the virtual machine manager from Fedora 8)

I hope you don't mean the software emulated version, it will work (I did FC10
x86_64 on a Pentium-III as a hack), but it will be leisurely.

> c) The GUI install wouldn't work, but I fell back to text install.
>
> d) I was disappointed that it would not let me select the packages
>    to install (I want KDE not Gnome)

Need the full install for that, LiveCD is GNOME.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>