Installing fedora while running fedora?

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Fri Dec 3 03:05:42 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 03, 2010 at 12:51:10PM +1100, Rodd Clarkson wrote:

> I'm running Fedora12 as a MythTV system and would like to be able to install
> Fedora14 onto separate (unused) partitions while I'm running F12 (to minimize
> downtime).

Hm, run what is described at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum
and your downtime is minimal.  Just check that you will not run out
of a space in /var/cache/yum.  You will need to remove few packages
beforehand as otherwise dependencies will not resolve.  For sure

rhpl
system-config-display
kudzu
control-center-extra

if you have those installed. Removing temporary cjkuni-uming-fonts,
if needed, is likely a good idea.  Do not forget to force
relabelling if you have SELinux on (and making it permissive before
you clean things up is highly advisable).

If you insist on doing that on a fresh file system then copy your
installation there, chroot, adjust fstab, mount /proc and /sys,
make sure that networking is on and do just the same what is above.
It sound like an extra work (a boot record, layout changes,
customizations to redo) but probably doable.  Maybe starting with
a copy of a LiveCD may reduce what you will need to transfer?

   Michał