Users are supposed to test latest F14 mdadm update?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sun Dec 12 17:33:52 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-12-12 at 18:23 +0100, Kåre Fiedler Christiansen wrote:

> Now I'm concerned. Just like Dennis Jacobfeuerborn I read the
> description in PackageKit when the update was pushed to stable, and
> felt a little uneasy, but assumed that this was because the
> information was left over from a description that was aimed at
> updates-testing.
>
> However, if it is indeed the case that _everyone_ should test this
> update to make sure the system works afterwards, then I'm not sure I
> think it should be pushed to updates-stable at all.

No, that is not the case, and Bruno's inference wasn't correct. The
update is intended to be safe for all users once it passed testing. The
only reason mdadm put detailed testing information for proven testers in
its update text is because the maintainer wanted to provide that
information to make sure the update was properly tested. Doing so in the
update description wasn't the ideal way as it leads to this discussion,
but the intent was good.