2010-12-20 - Fedora QA meeting recap

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Dec 21 01:03:58 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 19:03:27 -0500,
  James Laska <jlaska at redhat.com> wrote:

> Woah, this is crazy stuff! :)  Is this stuff you think upstream bugzilla
> would be keen on, or is this something you'd be looking to get access to
> the bugzilla.redhat.com database for?  Does upstream bugzilla have any
> recommendations for doing a query which follows the blocks/dependson
> relationship?

I think doing things this way uses their extension system and would make
a good proof of concept. Hopefully the only stuff outside of their extension
system would be for handling the view creation. The alias part is just for
convenience, as it wouldn't be hard to use bug numbers.

I think the main issue would be for stuff not supported by mysql and less
likely older versions of mysql or postgres. Views should be OK, but they
may not want WITH RECURSIVE or subselects in the base system. They do include
some extensions with the package (e.g. voting is an extension in 4.0), so
they might make that some they include even if it doesn't work with mysql
currently.

I like to have a bit more to show them before I ask for a review. I tried to
ask some questions via IRC when I first started, but I found that the ways
I was looking first for doing this didn't match what they do very well and
felt very hackish. The developers' guide does recommend creating extensions
as one method for demonstrating new features to the development team.