Broken dependencies: Fedora 13 development - 2010-02-19

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sat Feb 20 16:24:52 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 13:25 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> No interest due to several reasons, at least:
>
> * With repoclosure output, there is no mapping from "broken dep to bodhi
> ticket". Implementing such a mapping would not be trivial. And a different
> strategy of finding dep breakage would duplicate some of what Will Woods
> is working on.

Hrm, I hadn't thought about multipackage updates, but single package
updates can just be referenced by srpm n-v-r, eg:

$ bodhi -k +1 --comment "Installed and X still works"
xorg-x11-server-1.7.99.901-5.20100215.fc13

> * Negative karma on updates, which are marked stable already, is useless.

True, I'm mostly concerned about things in testing, and double concerned
about things in 13-testing.

> * Only the bodhi update submitter is notified about comments, afaik.
> That is less useful than mailing to the package-owner at ... alias.

In one aspect yes it is less useful.  In another aspect it is very
useful, as we are using karma on critical packages as a barrier to entry
into stable.  Automatically adding negative karma due to broken deps
helps prevent such breakage from hitting the branched 13 repo.

If there is no interest, that's fine, I can try to work something up
myself, maybe even a script to take your email and do something with it.

Thanks again for providing this information!

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!