F13 Alpha RC1

Jim Haynes jhhaynes at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 23 02:38:19 UTC 2010

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010, Adam Williamson wrote:

> Just to expand on that, you (Jim) seem to be confusing 'basic video' and
> 'text' install. The basic video install is just the graphical installer,
> using the 'vesa' driver rather than the native driver for the system's
> graphics adapter. Except for the choice of graphics driver, it's exactly
> the same as a 'regular' install.

Well what actually happens is, if I select Install new system or upgrade
then I run into the already-known bug where the keyboard and mouse are
inoperative.

So I selected Install system with basic video driver and that worked
for a while and then said
X startup failed, falling back to text mode

So I guess that's why basic video and text mode seemed to be the same
thing.

Proceeding in text mode I selected to upgrade an existing system
(F11)  That leads to
     anaconda 13.28 exception report
Traceback (last used call first):
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/text.py"
    line 597, in run
     (file, classNames) =
    stepToClasses [step]
File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 1191,
    in <module>
   anaconda.intf.run (anaconda)
KeyError: 'cleardiskssel'

I selected debug
since I don't know what to say to the debugger I said quit

It said Install exited abnormally [1/1]
The system will be rebooted when you press Ctrl-C or Ctrl-Alt-Delete

and that is untrue for Ctrl-C, but does reboot on Ctrl-Alt-Delete

So I guess I might as well sit out RC1 and try again when the X problem
is fixed.