Some confusion on repos

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Feb 23 23:24:26 UTC 2010

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 23:34:28 +0100
Antonio M <antonio.montagnani at gmail.com> wrote:

> After latest updates fedora-release-13-0.6.noarch I found that
> fedora-updates was disabled and fedora-updates-testing was enabled...
>
> [updates-testing]
> name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch - Test Updates
> failovermethod=priority
> #baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/testing/$releasever/$basearch/
> mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-testing-f$releasever&arch=$basearch
> enabled=1
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$basearch
>
> I don't understand the meaning of this choice.

Currently in the f13 branched world:

- base repo has all the base packages
- updates-testing has proposed updates to that base repo.

Once something has enough karma/maintainer says it's ready, it's moved
from updates-testing to the base f13 repo (ie, it will be included in
f13 when it ships).

In this setup, "updates" doesn't do anything. There are no packages
there.

At some point near release, there will be an updates repo formed, and
at that time, things will move from updates-testing to updates instead
of the base repo. At that point you will need to enable updates.

Make sense?

kevin