Draft desktop validation test matrix

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Tue Jan 12 12:48:40 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 09:53 +0000, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 17:10 +0800, He Rui wrote:
> > Hi Adam,
> >
> > Nice matrix!
> >
> > I have a question. Is release level 'Alpha', 'Beta', 'Final' the same as
> > priority 'tier1', 'tier2', 'tier3'? For example, if Beta Candidate is
> > under testing, will the cases of Alpha release level be tested again?
> >
> > If all the cases should be tested on Final candidate, and many people
> > attend the tests, then both the installation and this desktop matrix
> > would be long. Then I prefer a separate page.
>
> Yes, all the tests will be performed at all stages.
>
> Note that there are some other criteria we should probably have tests
> for, which don't exactly fall into the category of installation or
> desktop (e.g. 'all services should start successfully in a default
> install'). I'm not sure where to put those.

This topic came up yesterday in some discussion with John Poelstra and
Jesse Keating.  The idea was something around an [alpha|beta|final]
release checklist.  It might be a slightly different focus from what
you're talking about, but I think we could adapt it to fit.  Things it
might include ...

      * All services start successfully in a default install (as you
        mentioned)
      * No SELinux AVC denials on initial boot or subsequent login in a
        default install
      * No ABRT crash notifications on initial boot or subsequent login
        in a default install
      * The BetaNag has been removed from the installer
      * Fedora-release package contains final version
      * Kernel no longer compiled with debugging enabled
      * All packages signed with the appropriate key?
      * Anything about release notes?
      * What else?

Thoughts?

> If anyone has some awesomely
> clever idea for combining all validation testing in a convenient way
> which isn't one gigantically long page...we're all ears :)

We can play games with a read-only master page which transcludes all
other [[Test_Result]] content for easier test and result management.

/me thinks ... (smoke, gears grinding etc...)

Thanks,
James