ProvenTesters Sponsorship

Adam Miller maxamillion at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 6 21:47:21 UTC 2010

Hello testers!

I wanted to open a conversation on the list about how we want to as a
group handle sponsorship. I wanted to propose two ideas I had and
leave the floor open for other suggestions.

1) Allow the sponsors/mentors to individually decide upon new
proventesters FAS group menbers when they feel the person they are
mentoring is "ready"
2) Have a vote process such that when a proventester-to-be (i.e.-
currently being mentored) is considered familiar enough with the
processes by their mentor and has shown a track record of good testing
practices that they are to present their formal request to the current
proventesters at a QA meeting and then a vote is given?

The way it is currently outlined in the wiki[0] leans more the
direction of option 2 but I wanted to bring it up as I think each
option has some benefits. I like option 1 because the mentor is going
to be the one who ultimately has (or should have) the closest working
relationship with the person they are mentoring and therefore would be
the best judge upon when they are "ready." I however also like option
2 because it feels like a more formal process and allows for some more
uniformity on how decisions are made, allows for the group as a
community to constructively critique their peers as well as offers a
little more oversight in the process.

I also wanted to point out concerns I have with each. Option 1 I feel
could spawn some feeling of chaos where people are getting added
"willy nilly" (cheesy saying, I know ... ) and I worry that Option 2
could run us into the situation where we could be preventing testers
from joining in with their critpath contributions (example: request
comes in on a Tuesday, we have to cancel the meeting the following
Monday for some reason .... 2 weeks go by for sponsorship in FAS).

Just my thoughts, please reply with questions, comments, and if need
be ... snide remarks ;)

-AdamM

[0] - http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/JoinProvenTesters

--