64bit Flash player

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Jul 7 19:13:59 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 20:31 +0200, birger wrote:
> The claim i saw was that they had chosen to redesign the 64 bit flash
> completely.
>
> Given that windows seems to be quickly abandoning 32 bit support
> (first on servers) a completely rewritten 64 bit flash makes sense
> even if it  means more maintenance. It may mean that 32 bit flash
> becomes a light version for netbooks, pads and phones.
>
> During such redevelopment it makes sense to release only for the big
> platform. I assume that doesn't mean the new 64 bit engine will be
> difficult to port ( hopefully the opposite). Just that it wont happen
> yet.

Except that they're not releasing any 64-bit build for _any_ platform.
They never released one for Windows, and haven't done for 10.1.

Given that they're not releasing anything and the code is closed, they
can make any excuse they like about how they're rewriting it, no-one can
verify that. The fact remains that they provided a 64-bit build which
seemed to work rather well, many people came to use it, and now instead
of fixing a known security issue in it - it's hard to imagine the fix
can be much different in the 64-bit code from the 32-bit - they
completely withdrew the build.