Proven tester wiki love

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Jul 7 21:19:53 UTC 2010

On 07/07/2010 12:29 PM, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 8:16 PM, Adam Williamson<awilliam at redhat.com>  wrote:
>
>> Thinking about it, though, we could consider a slightly different
>> process for the kernel, as it's a component that's *extremely* subject
>> to different experiences for different users. I'm not sure the workflow
>> we've designed will work terribly well for kernels. I suspect it'll be
>> all too easy for a kernel which actually contains a major regression to
>> be approved; all it needs is for a proventester who doesn't happen to
>> own the hardware concerned to find it works fine on their system, and
>> file a +1, and anyone else to file a +1 too, and it'd be approved, even
>> though someone who does own the hardware might come by and test an hour
>> later and find the problem...
>>
>> we might want to design a system for the kernel where all proventesters
>> hold off posting positive feedback for a day or two, until several
>> proventesters and regular testers have had the chance to check for
>> regressions.
>
> That was exactly my thought too - I saw these kernel updates were
> there but thought that to satisfy the current criteria as best I could
> I would wait and see what comments that came in to bodhi over the next
> day or so looked like and then install and test. If I then saw no
> negatives, and my own tests found no problems then I felt +1 would be
> valid, but I wanted re-assurance from people here first. It would seem
> that in this situation neutral karma from a proventester would not be
> particularly useful as the package would not get the necessary push to
> stable unless a proventester gives +1. If this is acceptable as a way
> forward I would be happy with that but as you say for the kernel
> perhaps an additional paragraph in the draft would be useful.

Silly idea...how about assigning a requirement that each bugfix (or at
least a majority of them) in a kernel require positive karma before the
kernel is blessed?  The idea is that most bugfixes are just that--fixes.
Otherwise it'd be silly to release it, not so?

It's just a thought.  It's the criteria I use when I release code.