flash player 64bit?

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Thu Jul 8 14:11:57 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 10:43 -0600, Kevin DeKorte wrote:
> > The issue with nspluginwrapper and the 64-bit plugin remains, however.
> > But since Adobe has pulled the 64-bit plugin for now, we'll have to wait
> > and see if the new version still has the problem. Based on the behavior
> > I'm seeing, this actually might be an issue with the 64-bit version of
> > alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, or that you might still need both the 32-bit
> > and 64-bit versions of nspluginwrapper AND alsa-plugins-pulseaudio,
> > which is not documented anywhere. Thus, I'd be willing to bet that going
> > back to pure 64-bit for everything will still re-produce the problem.
> >
> I'm not going to get into the comments on the bug but here are some
> possible solutions..
>
> If you are using all 64bit plugins there is really no need to have
> nspluginwrapper. Firefox 3.6.4 has plugin crash protection now so that
> removes one of the needs for 64bit pluginwrapper on a 64bit browser. If
> you desire to have nspluginwrapper installed due to some plugin needing
> it, but you don't want it touching flash. Edit
> /etc/sysconfig/nspluginwrapper and add libflash* to the list of
> IGNORE_WRAP and then rerun mozilla_plugin_config (as user and root).

Thanks! This will be helpful going forward, assuming Adobe keeps their
word about re-releasing the 64-bit plugin, and assuming a reason remains
for keeping the 64-bit version of nspluginwrapper for other things.

> As for the 64bit flash Adobe has yanked it. So you can either run with a
> 64bit flash that is very buggy or you can use the 32bit one (less buggy)
> wrapped in nspluginwrapper. If there is a bug with the wrapped version.
> You might want to try emailing the nsplugginwrapper mailing list as most
> likely the developers do not check the fedora bugtracker.

Interesting. The BZ was filed under nspluginwrapper as a component. If
nobody is watching it, perhaps it shouldn't be there or it should
default to another queue so someone picks it up. In the meantime, I've
already decided to go with the "less buggy" route for now...

--

"You see things as they are and ask, 'Why?'

-- George Bernard Shaw