New alternative proven testers page draft

Aaron Faanes dafrito at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 04:20:42 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 10:31 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi, everyone.
>
> So, here's my alternative draft for a combined proven testers page:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_proventesters
>
> It's basically the existing Proven_testers page (which is mostly Aaron's
> work), with instructions for joining the group and details on the mentor
> process added. I adapted the joining instructions from the existing
> JoinProvenTesters page by Adam Miller, and wrote the mentoring stuff
> myself.

Looks good to me! I removed an old mention of the QA/JoinProvenTesters
page from the intro, but that's the only thing I noticed.

> I edited a few things in Aaron's section but nothing really major, just
> one passive->active voice change and changing a link to point to the
> fedora easy karma tool's wiki page rather than its pkgdb page (I think
> this is more useful as it provides actual info on how to use the tool),
> plus a bit more extra signposting of 'go read this page for instructions
> now'. Also I added an explicit section called 'Positive feedback' to the
> feedback procedures section, to make it clearer that, in general, we'd
> expect to file positive feedback and the scenarios where you *don't* are
> exceptions.

I like the mention of positive feedback, especially the mention that
it's the usual case.

> I tried to keep it short and in the spirit of 'here's what you should
> do' rather than 'here's a high-level abstract discussion of the concepts
> behind the process'.

Yeah, I prefer this one over mine, especially in terms of
not-being-scary and verbose. My hope was to nail down some of the
specifics, but I think the style and verbosity introduced more
confusion than it solved. I ended up taking it in an
at-five-thousand-feet direction instead of a "do this and this"
direction. Hopefully I'll remember to keep the intent in mind before I
stick my nose in one of these again. ;)