Mouse button stops working?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 05:53:55 UTC 2010

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 22:07:42 -0700, Adam wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 00:44 -0400, Jonathan Kamens wrote:
> > I'm running F13 with updates-testing enabled. In the last two days, my
> > left mouse button has suddenly stopped working on two separate
> > occasions. I don't know what caused it and the only way I was able to
> > find to fix it was to kill my gnome-session and thus log out and log
> > back in with a fresh X server. Switching VT's and back didn't help.
> >
> > Has anybody else seen anything like this recently?
>
> I had something similar once - my left button was actually acting as if
> ctrl was held down permanently, it was drag-selecting text in Evolution
> when I moved it, and clicking did nothing in any app. Reboot fixed it,
> haven't seen it again since.

I've posted about something slightly similar many weeks ago (with F13
and F12) with nobody commenting on it. With a combination of at least
Emacs, Firefox, xterm and tvtime running, all of a sudden something
activates the Shift key, and it affects everything I can enter (in the
open apps *and* newly started ones) via the keyboard and the mouse.
Pressing Shift or Shift-lock is no cure, but at least makes it possible
to type in lower-case characters again. ;) Logging out of GNOME and back
in is a quick fix.