Mouse button stops working?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 18 12:30:22 UTC 2010

On 2010/07/17 81:10 (GMT-0700) Adam Williamson composed:

> On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 22:07 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:

>> I had something similar once - my left button was actually acting as if
>> ctrl was held down permanently, it was drag-selecting text in Evolution
>> when I moved it, and clicking did nothing in any app. Reboot fixed it,
>> haven't seen it again since.

> It's now happened three times since I wrote that mail, and it's starting
> to get rather annoying.

> I realized that it's not exactly acting as if ctrl or shift is held
> down, though - it's acting exactly as if the left mouse button is held
> down. Now I've realized that, next time it happens, I'll try unplugging
> and replugging the mouse.

> It's even possible it's just my mouse acting up. It's six years old
> now...

I vote for this last. 6 years of use by you is probably equivalent to more
than 100 years of use by a typical computer user.

Mouse buttons are just microswitches hiding under a bunch of plastic. After 6
years of constant use, detritus could easily have found its way inside to a
bad place. If the microswitch is still good, an internal cleaning with a blow
gun might be all it needs.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/