f-e-k improvement discussion continued

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Mon Jul 19 16:02:24 UTC 2010

On 07/19/2010 07:35 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-07-16 at 23:01 -0400, Bob Lightfoot wrote:
>
>>   BobLfoot's next comment: I just ran yum update
>> --enable-repo=updates-testing --skip-broken -y and when I went to run
>> f-e-k I was presented with three packages to provide feedback on.  1)
>> ppp 2) xorg-x11-xinit 3) xsane-common and xsane-gimp. 1) I've never
>> used ppp networking so this would be a package I'd of karma 0 and "not
>> tested" comment prior to Adam's request that we not do so.  The
>
> Actually, ppp is a critical path package, so going by what I wrote, it
> would be okay to leave a 0 karma 'didn't break critical path but not
> directly tested'. (Although actually, for ppp, we really need feedback
> from people who actually use PPP connections).
>
>> suggestion to "just remove the package" is unacceptable in this case
>> also since yum erase ppp wipes out Network Manager. So not testing
>> would be a nice choice here for me rather than having to skip it every
>> time.  a karma of I or 7 which didn't factor into the total karma math
>> but caused the system not to represent works great. 2) I run x on my
>> VM but don't know if I have an Xorg file or not and wouldn't have a
>> clue how to test for a missing bang to shebang unless the developer
>> choose to publish a test protocol.
>
> Again, a critical path package, so it's fine to leave a comment here.
> And yeah, that's a terrible update description, just awful. (Sorry,
> mcepl :>)
>
> A shebang is one of those bits at the start of a script that looks like
> this:
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> which tells the system what shell the script is supposed to be run with.
> The shebang is the #! part. The # is the 'she', the ! is the 'bang'.

I believe it's "shabang", with the "#" being the musical notation for
"sharp".  Some other names for it are "hash" and Americans sometime
call it a "pound sign" (yes, I'm an American).

The "!" being called "bang" is sort of self-evident to anyone who's
read any comics or watched the campy 1960s "Batman" series.

Does anyone remember "bang-path" mail routing?  :-)