bodhi editing - QA hazard

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Fri Jul 23 14:17:39 UTC 2010

Hi all,

It seems bodhi is abused more than I thought. Over the past few releases
of being a part-QAer for stable Fedora releases, I've noticed a trend of
packagers editing updates rather drastically. Take a recent example with
perl[1]. I left positive karma on perl-5.10.1-115.fc13, but then the
packager edited the update with a *new* copy of the package:
perl-5.10.1-116.fc13. The problem? My karma is still giving this *new*
update a positive point. What if the patches added totally destroyed
perl's ability to work correctly? I would look like an idiot for giving
it positive karma -- except only I know that this package's release
changed. The same thing happened with the wine-1.2[2] update as each
Release Candidate of wine was released under the same bodhi update.

Why does bodhi allow editing of the package version? It seems that field
should be locked from editing and the only course of action would be to
delete the update and create a new one. Another alternative would be to
have bodhi modified to reset karma points if the package field changes.

I realize everyone has their work cut out for them, but this seems like
a serious issue. What are your thoughts?

[1] http://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/perl-5.10.1-116.fc13
[2] https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/wine-1.2.0-1.fc13