Updates Lessons

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sun Jul 25 01:48:09 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> said:
> As part of FESCo implementing the Boards updates vision, I've been
> looking at trying to document issues in updates and lessons we can
> learn from them.
>
> I have a preliminary page up at:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Lessons
>
> If testing folks could look at adding any more serious issues they have
> found there as we move forward we can try and improve our tooling and

I'm not sure if this meets what you are looking for, but I just found
that updating Horde in EPEL (and Fedora) from version 3.2.x to 3.3.x is
broken.  The UPGRADING file says that you have to run

scripts/upgrades/2008-08-29_fix_mdb2_sequences.php

but it requires PEAR MDB2_Schema package installed.  That isn't even
packaged for Fedora (and then of course EPEL).

There isn't really a way to test for this, but it probably should be
noted that software upgrade instructions should at least be read, and
hopefully tested.  There are a number of things that I can think of that
this applies to, such as Horde (and other Horde pieces like IMP), RT,
and Mediawiki (there are often manual upgrade steps required for these
packages).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>