systemd failure to boot

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Jul 28 22:55:25 UTC 2010

The latest rawhide updates switched a default init from upstart to
systemd and systemd-sysvinit.  An attempt to boot a system after
those changes ended up with:

init[1]: Set hostname to <localhost.localdomain>.
init[1]: Failed to load configuration for distcache.service: No such file or directory
init[1]: Failed to load configuration for default.target: No such file or directory
init[1]: Failed to start default target: Unit default.target failed to load. See log for details.
systemd-cgroups used greatest stack depth: 3600 bytes left

and that is about it.  Nothing further.  I like particularly "See
log for details" advice as at this point my machine is dead as a
cucumber.  Not that I am overly surprised.

Any sage advice how to make the above work?  Booting with
'init=/sbin/upstart' still works fine so a recovery is not onerous.

No, I did not report that in bugzilla yet as there is not much above
"it does not work".

   Michal