Testing Protocols for F14

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sun Jun 13 15:32:25 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-06-12 at 22:02 -0400, Bob Lightfoot wrote:
> Dear Testing Community:
>
> As a community member who has helped with testing on recent releases F12
> & F13 I wanted to ask for clarification and consensus on something going
> into the F14 testing cycle on a couple of questions key to me.
>
> 1.  When we are doing installation and operational testing what is the
> general feeling about using VM's versus actual hardware?

It's always better to test in a VM than not at all. We would like to
have at least some of us running on real hardware, though, because there
are bugs you just won't catch in a VM.

> 2.  When the install calls for use of DVD, CD or LiveMedia is it
> acceptable to use DVD.iso, CD.iso or LiveMedia.iso mounted to a VM as a
> DVD, CD or LiveMedia?

In most cases yes. If you're doing a specific test whose primary purpose
is to check something about the media - such as whether you can
successfully perform an installation from it - we'd definitely need a
test of 'the real thing'. Ideally those tests should in fact be run
*both* ways - we'd want to make sure you can install from the DVD ISO
both burned to a DVD and mounted as a DVD drive inside a VM (using the
Fedora virt stack, of course), for instance.