Fedora 14 Schedule

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Fri Jun 18 16:42:49 UTC 2010

> On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 10:39 -0400, James Laska wrote:
> > Apologies for the delayed response.
> >
> > On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 16:11 -0700, John Poelstra wrote:
> > > I have created a detailed schedule for the QA team for Fedora 14 based
> > > on the tasks from Fedora 13.  The contents of this schedule will also
> > > drive the weekly schedule reminders this list gets about testing tasks.
> > >   At one point there was discussion about adding specific test days to
> > > the schedule.  I'm glad to help with that too.
> >
> > I'm 50/50 on adding test days into the official schedule.  Test day
> > scheduling is still very dynamic in nature, so there could potentially
> > be multiple schedule updates per week.
> >
> > Also, with exception of a handful of F13 events, my impression is that
> > test day attendance was down.  I'm not yet clear on the cause, but some
> > feedback suggests we could improve communication of the events.  I'm
> > also curious whether we would benefit from focusing on fewer test days
> > for Fedora 14.
> >
> > QA gang, any thoughts here?
>
> I'm not big on putting the Test Days into that schedule, I think the
> current system works fine from a scheduling POV.
>
> I don't think having fewer Test Days would improve attendance. I think
> people just show up to Test Days they're really personally interested
> in, no matter how many there are. I don't think many people are thinking
> 'well, I'd come out to all the Test Day events, even ones I don't care
> about, if there were fewer of them!' That's just my gut feeling, though.

I agree that simply having less of something doesn't make it better.

Perhaps I should clarify my intent.  By fewer, it was implied that the
extra time would be spent ensuring that each event was as successful as
it could be.  My concern was whether we were over committing on our
capacity to support and host test days.  If this was the case, I'd
prefer hosting several really good events, instead of a lot of poorly
attended test days.

Of course, if it's not the case ... then no action required.

Thanks,
James