proposal: let's activate proventesters!

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Tue Jun 29 16:26:47 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 14:22 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Hey, everyone.
>
> Looking at the status of the proven testers project, I reckon it's about
> ready to go. We're tinkering with the wiki pages still, but we have
> everything in place that really _needs_ to be in place.
>
> So far we say we're waiting on infrastructure to kick in the Bodhi
> changes that make updates require proventester feedback and make the
> feedback 'special', but it occurs to me that we don't actually need to
> wait for that. We can start accepting proventester membership requests,
> mentoring proventesters, and sending feedback already. Even if our
> feedback isn't strictly necessary yet, even if it doesn't get marked as
> privileged, it's still useful feedback, and it gets the project up and
> running and lets us clean up any teething problems.

> So, let's do it! I say we start having the existing people in the
> proventesters group accept the requests filed as trac tickets, send the
> new proventesters a quick guide on how to get up to speed -
> essentially, https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Proven_tester - and get down
> to the business of submitting feedback. Then whenever infrastructure
> gets around to flipping the switch, we'll already be there in the swing
> of things and the transition should happen smoothly.
>
> Does that sound good?

Sounds great!

While testing of all updates in updates-testing is valuable, does anyone
know if there is a way to query critical path updates that do not yet
have proventester feedback?  I'd like to see how much testing is
outstanding and determine whether we are ahead or behind etc...

I just discovered that it might be possible to use the command-line
bodhi tool to gather this information.

        # bodhi --critpath -r F13
        Getting a list of critical path updates...
        0 pending critical path updates found

This may partially answer my question.  I wonder if such a view could be
available from bodhi-web (e.g.
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F13/critpath)?

Thanks,
James