Proven testers: mentoring

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Jun 30 18:44:01 UTC 2010

> On 6/30/10 11:25 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > and ask them to confirm that they've read the instructions, and that
> > they're familiar with the process of enabling updates-testing and using
> > the web interface or fedora-easy-karma to post feedback on updates. Then
> > we should ask them to apply to the proventesters FAS group, and then
> > sponsor them into the group. Ask them to let you know when they've filed
> > their first batch of update feedback, and quickly look over it to make
> > sure it looks in line with what we're aiming for.
> >
> > This is all coming off the top of my head, as I said, but I think it
> > should be enough to get us going. Please do raise any suggestions,
> > improvements, or anything I left out in my process. If anyone would like
> > to go ahead and draft a mentor instructions Wiki page before I can (I've
> > got to write the FWN QA beat next), please do!
> >
> > Alright, I'm off to pick a group of mentor-ees :)
>
> Here is my thoughts.  Instead of having the mentoree sit around and wait
> for a mentor to pick them, we should encourage them to read through the
> wiki pages and start providing feedback.  Once picked by a mentor, the
> mentor could already have a body of work to examine.  It's not like the
> karma is going to be wasted, the feedback is good.  Lets try to limit
> the points in time where somebody might be sitting idle waiting for
> somebody else to do something.

That sounds good to me if we don't actually get all the mentor requests
assigned, but in practice - given the number of requests and the number
of existing members of the proventesters group - I'm kinda hoping we can
have all the mentor requests accepted by the end of today or certainly
tomorrow. Several of the applicants are people who clearly know what
they're doing already (one of mine is Rahul...), so they really
shouldn't be particularly onerous to approve.

I've already taken the first three (chronologically) requests. I hope
others can quickly take the others :) Feel free to use or adapt the text
I put in my reply to the tickets I accepted.