Proposed release criteria additions for F14+

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Wed Jun 30 18:44:24 UTC 2010

> On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 11:28 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Sorry for the cross-post, but figured it's worth CCing devel in case
> > anyone has concerns on these.
> >
> > I'm currently working on a plan to expand desktop validation testing. As
> > part of the discussion around this, Christoph Wickert proposed several
> > additions to the release criteria that seem sensible to me. I'd like to
> > propose we add these to the criteria for F14 and on:
> >
> > * Saving passwords in the desktop default keyring (if the desktop
> >  implements one), and retrieving passwords from the keyring, must work
> >
> > * The desktop default update manager must not periodically check for
> >  updates when the system is booted live, but must periodically check for
> >  updates when running on an installed system
> >
> > * The desktop's offered mechanisms for shutting down, logging out and
> >  rebooting must work
> >
> > Anyone have comments or objections to these? Suggestions for what
> > release they should come in? I'd say #1 should be final and #2 and #3
> > should be beta, off the top of my head.
>
> I meant to send an email to this effect yesterday, but somehow I didn't,
> though I clearly remember writing it. Very strange. Anyhow, since no-one
> had objections to these criteria, I went ahead and added them to the F14
> Beta and Final criteria:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_14_Final_Release_Criteria
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_14_Beta_Release_Criteria

Looks great, thanks for proposing+updating.

> I have adjusted two test cases to cover the update and session
> management criteria:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_desktop_updates

Took me a bit to realize that there is a key difference in the 'expected
results' based on whether you are testing with a live image, or an
installed system.  Once I realize this, I'll use caution when running
the test.

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_desktop_login

Perhaps demonstrating my familiarity with only keymap=us, but using a
different keymap requires a different keyboard right?

> and created a new test to cover the keyring criterion:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_desktop_keyring
>
> please do review these and make sure they make sense, and suggest any
> possible improvements. Thanks! Note the cases are intentionally written
> to be desktop-agnostic, the hedging and lack of references to a specific
> desktop (e.g. GNOME) are intentional.

Thanks,
James