My own ATI card roundup

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu May 6 00:46:11 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 15:11 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Mon, 03 May 2010 14:50:00 -0400
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
> > Tom, does this card run in vesa mode?
>
> Yea, I just tried that the other day, and if I cobble
> up an xorg.conf file and specify the vesa driver, I can
> get video (but of course, vesa can't do the native
> 1920x1080 resolution, so I get stretched out 1024x768).

There's no 'of course' about it, there's no intrinsic reason vesa
shouldn't be capable of the native resolution, and if you file a bug on
this, ajax will look at it. When I did that for the Vaio P, he fixed the
vesa driver to automatically run the P at its native 1600x768
resolution.

Of course, that won't make it faster. =)