Students learning BugZapping

Vedran Miletić rivanvx at gmail.com
Mon May 31 14:56:34 UTC 2010

2010/3/24 Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>:
> Great idea!

I did an experimental class with this last week (a bit later than
planned, indeed), information below. Students reacted very well and
figured out how to do things pretty quickly.

> Just for the initial demonstration session, I'd say it's fine for you to
> create a single account for the whole class to use. If they want to go
> on and do some Bugzapping work after the class, though, I'd say each
> should register their own account at that point. Perhaps change the
> password for the demo account after the class is over, so you will still
> have access to it to answer any follow-ups on any of the bugs you touch.

We did it for the time being without accounts, they were offline and
posted info about bugs to Moodle.

>> 2) I plan to focus on finding duplicates and triaging radeon-related
>> stuff, because it's quite easy to explain stuff there (KMS/UMS,
>> xf86-video-radeon/radeonhd, card generations etc.), but I don't want
>> to limit myself to that. Any other suggestions what to work on?
>
> Beland's reply to this looks good to me.

This part is interesting. To get familiar with clicking around
bugzilla, I assigned them to looking into Xorg logs attached to bugs
and finding out details about graphics cards and KMS. Over 70% of
reports were usable, and I could go over them afterwards and change
summary on each bug.

I would like to push this further, as I discussed today with Matej on
IRC. Can we arrange it all somehow for next monday 1530 CET? I have
only one group of students, not two as planned earlier.

--
Vedran Miletić