Fw: Firefox 3.6, open pdf outside of browser

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue Nov 2 03:25:39 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 07:47:22PM -0700, stan wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 22:14:19 -0400
> > Richard Ryniker <ryniker at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Click:  Edit -> Preferences -> Applications
> >
> > Find the line in the first column (Content Type) for "PDF file" and
> > select your desired program.  I had to select "Use other" and
> > navigate to my preference, acroread; you should choose your preferred
> > application.
>
> It opens them just fine with the default pdf viewer (pdfview?).  The
> problem is that it now embeds them in a browser window rather than
> opening them externally.

If you have mozplugger installed then you can set your viewer in
/etc/mozpluggerrc.  It tries whatever is configured there in order
until it will find the first one which works.  If you do not like
"swallowing" then do not use 'swallow(...)' on that line you are
using.

mozplugger lets you handle more file types than what is available
by default.

   Michal