Fresh install, no network, the saga continues

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 20:12:03 UTC 2010

> This just in: the problem fixed itself magically, Must be because
> yesterday was Halloween since I have no other explanation, rational or
> otherwise. What happened was this:
>
> Despite no net, I wanted to recover some files from my backup NAS, so
> I booted with the F13 (note, not F14) rescue disk, which did have net
> access, chrooted to the new installation, net-mounted the NAS and
> restored my home directory. I also restored /etc/fstab and fixed up
> the UUIDs of the LVM volumes which of course had changed (this being a
> new install). I swear I didn't touch anything else, but when I
> rebooted from the new install, the net just came up as if nothing was
> wrong. I rebooted a couple of times to make sure but it seems solid.

Sigh. After doing the above I decided to use my now-working net to
install KDE. This duly occurred without incident. I then rebooted and
... no net.

Current thinking (offlist correspondents etc.) is to try booting F13 and
then F14. Perhaps F13 initializes the adaptor in some way that F14
doesn't. Another suggestion: boot w/o ACPI and see what happens. Also,
make sure PXE is turned off in the BIOS. And check that the BIOS is up
to date.

I 'll try all this in order this evening and report later.

Of course if it's not just me we should start to hear the screaming from
today as F14 hits the public interwebs.

poc