.xsession-errors

Richard Ryniker ryniker at alum.mit.edu
Fri Nov 5 22:43:08 UTC 2010

JB <jb.1234abcd at gmail.com> wrote:
  System-Preferences-Startup Applications --> Network Manager (nm-applet)

Yes.  Thank you.  There were a whole bunch of things listed in "Startup
Applications" that look to be of no relevance to the current purpose
of this machine.  In particular, after I unchecked NetworkManager and
started a new session, these nm-applet messages no longer appear in
.xsession-errors:

  ** (nm-applet:1923): WARNING **: get_all_cb: couldn't retrieve system settings properties: (2) The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSystemSettings was not provided by any .service files.

  ** (nm-applet:1923): WARNING **: fetch_connections_done: error fetching system connections: (2) The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSystemSettings was not provided by any .service files.

As you indicated, the process tree showed nm-applet was started by
gnome-session.  As I expected from the chkconfig output, NetworkManager
was not running.

Do you think these messages are just a fancy way for nm-applet to say
NetworkManager is not running, or is something actually wrong?  I tend
toward the latter interpretation.  If nm-applet wants to complain that
NetworkManager is not running, it would do much better to say that.

I suspect the other messages (from deja-dup-monitor and nautilus) also
denote errors, but, without experience with these applications, I can
report what I see but cannot feel confident to say these are actual bugs.