.xsession-errors

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 09:40:35 UTC 2010

JB <jb.1234abcd <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I tested Richard's case.
> In console terminal:
> # chkconfig --list NetworkManager
> NetworkManager 	0:off	1:off	2:on	3:on	4:on	5:on	6:off
> # /etc/inet.d/NetworkManager stop
>
> $ startx
> nm-applet started; no nm-applet icon in a panel.
> $ ps aux |grep -i networkmanager
> $ ps aux |grep -i nm-applet
> jb       31469  0.0  0.4 174292 10032 ?        Sl   01:31   0:00 nm-applet
> --sm-disable

To continue the response to Richard's remarks:

On Fri, 2010-11-05 at 18:43 -0400, Richard Ryniker wrote:
> Do you think these messages are just a fancy way for nm-applet to say
> NetworkManager is not running, or is something actually wrong?  I tend
> toward the latter interpretation.  If nm-applet wants to complain that
> NetworkManager is not running, it would do much better to say that.

Yes, nm-applet complains this way (.xsession-errors) that NM is not running.
I agree that, in addition, nm-applet should let the GNOME user know when NM
service (/etc/inet.d/NetworkManager) is not running, instead of just removing
nm-applet icon from the panel.

I think of these ways to do that:
1. display a standard GNOME notification message that NM is not available, at
   nm-applet startup time or at any time NM changes its status to unavailable
2. keep nm-applet icon in a panel at all times, but if NM not available, then
   to mark it with a red arrow or some other visual overlay and display
   a "NetworkManager: disabled" message when moving a mouse over it.
   Note that red "x" overlay is already taken for "Networking disabled" status.
3. both 1 and 2 above

JB