updates improvements/changes ideas

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Nov 29 16:56:14 UTC 2010

Greetings.

On the devel list recently there was a long thread discussing how we
could improve the current https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy

I gathered up ALL the ideas people put forth that were concrete in a
list for fesco to look into. I'd love feedback from QA/Testers as well.

If you have additional (concrete) ideas to add, please feel free.

Note that these are not my ideas. ;)

The list I have so far:

General:

* Just drop all the requirements/go back to before we had any updates
  criteria.

* back off current setup until autoqa is ready, see what we want to do after that lands.

* Change FN-1 to just security and major bugfix. Nothing else allowed.

* allow packages with a %check section to go direct to stable.

* setup a remote test env that people could use to test things.

* require testing only for packages where people have signed up to be testers.

* Ask maintainers to provide test cases / test cases in wiki for each package

* have a way to get interested testers notified on bodhi updates for packages
they care about.

* reduced karma requirement on other releases when one has gone stable

* aggregated karma across the releases for the same package version.

* PK updates-testing integration of some kind.

* allow anon karma to count.

* setup fedora-qa package or group to more easily bring up more testers.

* Testing is only required for certain packages.  Those packages are the
  packages where problems have occurred before so fesco or other maintainers
  affected by the changes deem it necessary to supplement the maintainer's
  testing with outside help.

  - Option: supplement this list with critpath packages where the
    maintainers desire extra testing.  This means that we would no longer be
    dragging in dependencies immediately... only if updates by the
    dependency's maintaner to that package are breaking things.

* updates that only modify the spec could have a lower requirement.
(ie, to fix a packaging issue, no changes in the upstream software).

Security updates:

* allow security updates to go direct to stable

* ask QA to commit to testing security updates

* allow timeout for security updates before going to stable.

Critpath updates:

* allow critpath timeout for going to stable.

Non critpath/security:

* reduce timeout for non critpath from 7 to 3 days.

* change default autokarma to 2 or 1.

kevin