F12 critical path testing

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Mon Oct 11 16:26:31 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 10:58 -0500, John Watzke wrote:
>    Thanks Thomas.  This will work great.  Now we just need to figure
> out how to drive this initiative.

I think you just did!  Best way to start, is by discussing and following
up.

> Perhaps a wiki page to at least identify the packages and if we've
> worked with the maintainers yet to get an agreement to try to provide
> some sort of testing information.  From there we'll need some place to
> store some of this information.  Test information for a specific bug
> can easily be stored in the bug itself since its value decreases
> somewhat after the bug has been fixed and the release has been done.

My preference would be to store test procedures in a single location.
For now, it's the wiki.  By using the existing wiki infrastructure, it
makes potential migration to another tool much easier.

If steps to test or reproduce an issue are posted to a bug, let's
provide a clear path for how and where to contribute those test
instructions to the wiki.

> General test scripts would need to be stored somewhere else.

As long as the documented test instructions provide links to the
scripts, that should be fine (whether they are in bugzilla as
attachements, uploaded to the wiki as files, in some upstream test
suite, or on a fedorapeople.org page).

> Perhaps on this same wiki page where general test scripts could show
> what needs to be done and for packages such as Perl/GCC/Glibc small
> code scriptlets could be provided to allow testers to run them and get
> some general regression coverage.

See my earlier response, let's definitely leverage the wiki to get this
started.  We have some current wiki structure we could refine and use
for this purpose. For example, see the hierarchies linked below ...

      * https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Test_Cases
      * https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Test_Plans

Thanks,
James