Unable To Complete Fedora 14 HTTP Install

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.net
Sun Oct 17 11:15:39 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 23:42 -0400, Bob Cochran wrote:

> Then I clicked 'next' and the dependency checking starts....and up comes
> a warning dialog telling me that dependencies are missing. Clicking the
> Details button reveals a list of packages that require other packages
> (often the same package name is repeated a few times in the list of
> missing dependencies.) For example, ImageMagick requires an libxml2
> package that is missing, and the ImageMagick warning line is repeated a
> few times in the details list. Several other packages make the list,
> too. I have the choice of either exiting the install, or clicking the
> back button to adjust my package selection, or of continuing to install
> without the dependencies.
>
> I decide to click the Back button. That brought me to the package
> selection screen. On that screen, I clicked the Back button again, to
> bring me back to the installation repo list. Here I checked off the
> middle choice in the repo list ("Fedora 14 updates", if memory serves
> me.) A dialog box comes up stating it is gathering information about the
> repo, and it gathers for a very long, long time! I then click the 'next'
> button, which becomes shaded, and a freeze up happens. Things are locked
> up for a minute or two, then if I recall, a dialog box appears and
> informs me that an unexpected crash happened. I'm asked to report the
> crash. I want to do this, and I think a list of reporting choices was
> offered. I checked off Bugzilla, but when prompted for my username and
> password, I realize I've forgotten my password.

At the point above, instead of clicking the "back" button and redoing
it, just continuing the install and let it do a skip-broken type thing
and install.  Then you can finish installing and/or figure out what
didn't and see what the dep issue is.  AT least you have a working
system at that point.  Not much you can do about dep problems until
packages are rebuilt to satisfy them.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY