safely remove drive

Karel Volný kvolny at redhat.com
Tue Oct 19 17:26:04 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 19 of October 2010 06:49:54 cornel panceac wrote:
> wouldn't it be nice to have a "You can safely remove device"
> message displayed for a few seconds every time after you
> click the option on the usb drive's right-click menu?
> also a message displayed al the time during the sync would
> complete the user xperience. imho, of course.

I don't think we need to copy Windows everywhere ...

to see a popup, you have to watch the screen - so if you have a
large cache and slow media, and you just copied tons of data, you
have to stare at the screen for ten minutes until you see the
popup to know you're done ... ouch

much better would be just to have an indicator of the status you
can query "can I remove the media now"? - you can get the same as
with the popup, just watching the indicator for ten minutes until
it changes state ... but I prefer to do something useful
meanwhile ;-)

but I agree that disappeareing of the icon from the GNOME desktop
or having to open Nautilus to see that the icon is not there is
not very user friendly

K.

--
Karel Volný