Rawhide installation question

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Tue Oct 26 13:59:45 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 12:13 +0800, Qiang Li wrote:

> > > I don't like updating from a test release or previous release,
> > because
> > > it takes too much time, bandwidth and it's hard to solve broken
> > > dependency.
> > >
> > > What kind of way do you use to install a fresh fedora rawhide?
> > >
> > > Qiang
> > >

> On Mon, 2010-10-25 at 13:21 -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> > I just want to say that I too miss the ability to do #1.
>
> Why not try to regain the ability? :) Let's work together to see if it
> is possible.

This is partly a question of whether Rawhide *should* be an installable
release.  For me, one way of answering that would be to ask the
installation developers whether they intend (and are able) to actively
support/maintain an installable rawhide in addition to the active
Branched release (Fedora 14).

For test, I'd much prefer focusing our energy on ensuring the Branched
release meets the Fedora release criteria.  Part of which includes using
different package repos during installation.  Using the branched release
installation images to install a rawhide package set is a perfectly
valid way to install rawhide packages.

Thanks,
james