NVidia Driver question???

Rob Healey robhealey1 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 06:30:37 UTC 2010

Dear Bruno:

Thank you for your immediate response!  I am impressed...

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 11:13 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 23:09:31 -0700,
>  Rob Healey <robhealey1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I would like to know if it is better to use the supplied video drivers by
> fe
> > xorg-x11-drv-? or would it be better to use the video driver from NVidia?
> > My video card is:
> >
> > nVidia Corporation NV44 [Quadro NVS 285] (rev a1
> >
> > Would anyone also be able to tell me if I will be able to gnome-shell/
> gnome
> > 3 with this video card as it currently says that I will need 3d
> acceleration
> > now when I try to go to Desktop Effects if I were to use the NVidia
> supplied
> > drivers?  I do not even know if it would be wise to use the NVidia
> drivers
> > anyway?
>
> Try Nouveau first and if that works for you, stick with that. Nouveau
> provides
> limited 3D support. I think you still need to install
> mesa-dri-drivers-experimental to get 3D for Nouveau.

You said to try nouveau first, where would I get the drivers for that?  is
it the default driver from xorg?  If not, where and how would I install and
use it?

I know that mesa-dri-drivers-experimental is a package that I can download
and install from fedora correct?

> If you need more performance or if 3D is buggy for the stuff you want to
> do, then try the nVidia drivers using rpmfusion packages.

If I need to go to this route, how would I know which package to install
from rpmfusion???

Thank you,
Rob G. Healey