Why was a kernel-2.6.34 pushed to updates that had un-addressed bugs.

Dennis J. dennisml at conversis.de
Thu Sep 2 09:56:25 UTC 2010

On 09/02/2010 04:18 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 12:12 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
>

>> It is however, perfectly reasonable to expect that having tried a
>> kernel at the request of a fedora developer on fedora-test-list and
>> then having filed a bug against said kernel reporting problems, that
>> someone might actually have a few minutes required to actually ask a
>> few more questions and try and address the problem.
>>
>> Otherwise, why did they ask for feedback if it was just to be ignored?
>
> To be frank, they don't have time to look at everything, and suspend is
> a bit of a way down the list. They are aware of your bug - I know
> because one of the kernel team asked me if I was aware of any problems
> with 2.6.34 more serious than suspend issues, so obviously they've seen
> yours, but haven't had time to respond to it yet.

I think the question is how regressions are prioritized. For me the issue
is that my Radeon card has been working perfectly on F11 but had a major
performance regression with F12 that makes the system too slow for regular
use. I filed a bug with lots of information and a sysprof profile that
shows extreme differences in behavior between the F11 system and a current
F14 build but this hasn't been dealt with since I posted that profile.
The result is that I'm pretty much stuck on F11 for now which is
frustrating not because I expect any particular fancy features to work but
because I bought this card since it was so well supported and working
nicely on F11. Also the mobile version of the same gfx-chip doesn't have
this issue on my notebook so I have a hunch that this isn't some major
problem but something that could potentially be solved relatively quickly.

What am I supposed to do in this situation? I guess I could spend another
hundred bucks on a new card but then I don't know if that will loose
support in the next Fedora release either.
I think regressions need to be prioritized.

Regards,
   Dennis