Some or all of your votes have been removed

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Fri Sep 3 06:53:21 UTC 2010

----- "Kevin Fenzi" <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:

> I'll repost what I posted to devel just a few ago.
> Sorry for any confusion. I didn't think it would be sending emails,
> and
> particularly with such a poor subject. ;(
>
> > Has it been disabled recently?
>
> Short answer: Yes. It has.
>
> Longer answer:
>
> FESCo looked at trying to use voting data to give us an idea on 'hot'
> bugs that we might be able to send more resources to fix. Sadly,
> voting
> isn't at all good for this, as people have many votes (100 or 1000, I
> forget which), so it's hard to tell if an issue affects 10 people or
> 100 by that. Many people didn't see the voting interface, so they
> wouldn't have used it even if the problem was severe or affected a
> lot
> of people. Some people were using the voting interface, even though
> no
> maintainers ever noticed it (ie, thinking this could help the bug get
> solved, but it's like the maintainer and voter were in seperate
> worlds
> without any communication).
>
> So, we decided it would be less confusing to just disable it.
>
> We decided to look into using CC or comments to tell when a bug had a
> lot of people affected or was 'very active'. Unfortunately, this also
> is proving to be difficult to implement. See:
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-engineering-services/ticket/24
> any help there would be appreciated.
>
> kevin

Thanks for the explanation, Kevin. Just out of curiosity you may have a
look at Launchpad interface how they solved this:

"This bug affects you and 45 other people  (Edit)"

You can also sort the bugs by "heat":
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux?orderby=-heat
(more explanation after clicking on heat icon)