Why is avahi-daemon being started?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 23:07:14 UTC 2010

On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 15:46:23 -0700
Jon Hermansen wrote:

Yep, systemctl, not sysctl (slip of the fingers :-).

> Without knowing about systemd internals, it is quite possible that you have
> a dependent service that requires avahi-daemon, so, even though you've
> disabled avahi-daemon, another service starts it.

Certainly possible, but I grepped through all the systemd files
I could find with no apparent reference to avahi-daemon. I also
booted in systemd debug mode once for another problem, and
I see lots of messages about adding jobs to various lists for
startup, but no message about starting avahi in any of the
debug output, it just sorta gets started somehow all by itself.

I guess I'll have to use a bigger hammer on the grep and see
if I can find anything anywhere on the system that starts it.