Why is avahi-daemon being started?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Sep 8 12:19:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 12:00:17PM +0100, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Not to get too far into a philosophical cul-de-sac, but when people say
> this, they usually don't *really* mean it. What they mean is 'when
> something automatic doing a job I don't currently appreciate impinges on
> my attention, it annoys me'.

Fair enough. Another one would be: "When something automatic causes a
service I don't actually need to run, exposing me to greater
security risks, it annoys me."

Or in the case of laptops "eating my battery". Or RAM, on a
memory-constrained system. There's lots of good reasons to run less stuff.

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>