F14 Branched -- hard freezes

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 12:17:47 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Martin Sourada
<martin.sourada at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 00:07 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 11:58 PM, Adam Williamson
>> <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>         Check kernel logs and X logs after rebooting, see if there's
>>         crash
>>         notifications in either. (You'll want to look
>>         at /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old
>>         rather than Xorg.0.log). What's the gfx card?
>> Thanks, I'll check that out, though I doubt that there'll be
>> anything... I have intel 945. Another interesting thing is, I logged
>> into a different account (which I use to testing/playing around) that
>> currently has gnome-shell (as opposed to composited metacity) and so
>> far after more than an hour no freeze. I'll see if it's still running
>> tomorrow.
>>
> Ok, that wasn't it. It froze in gnome-shell as well. In the exactly same
> moment when external USB HDD was waking up (initiated by ls -l on some
> folder in it). So over night I run full fsck on it. No errors reported,
> but right now it seems to work (at least I wasn't able to reproduce the
> freeze in single user mode, I'll see if it appears again in init 5).
>
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log* and /var/log/messages show no traces about the
> freeze.

So it appeared again, after several hours of usage (so it's much
better than it initially was), this time in gnome-screensaver. The USB
drive appeared to be running, so I guess kernel was frozen as well.

Martin

PS: Please accept my appology if anyone recieved the above quoted mail
multiple times. Evolution is crashing on me when sending emails so the
mail stays in outbox so I though it had never went out, but I've been
notified that's it had been sent 8 times or so already...