heads-up: upstart reversion coming soon

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Sep 15 05:54:59 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 03:57:02AM +0200, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
> 2010/9/15 Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com>:
> > I expect systemd development to move to rawhide now. Not sure how much
> > sense it makes to keep developing systemd in f14
>
> It seems to me that many F14 users would like try/test it.
>
> >, in particular since
> > the thing that was perceived as lacking was mostly system integration.
>
> ???
>
> I do not understand this argument. Upstart is still lacking of system
> integration.

There is one big difference though.  Upstart does work and for a
"naive" user this detail that /sbin/upstart handles sysvinit job is
not really visible.  In the case of systemd this works "mostly".
Definitely much better now than when it showed up for the first time
but if you will scratch little deeper then various niggling
"imperfections" show up all over.  Maybe all this could be fixed in
time for a release or maybe not.  I think that waiting for F15 until
the whole environment matures enough was a responsible decision.

BTW - I run rawhide and do not plan to switch that back to upstart.

   Michal