nss in updates-testing - more problems

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Sep 16 18:38:20 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 01:16:42PM -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:

>   I have sometimes to run 32 bit apps as there is as yet no 64 bit version.
>
>   So, for me, all I need is the right suite of 32 bit runtime libs to be
> available.

It is not very likely that you need nss-tools.i686 for such
purposes.

Can you give specific examples what you are talking about?  If you
mean things like acroread or skype then all needed libraries are
already in 64-bit repos.  If you do _really_ need something more
then see my previous reply.

>   What I have been doing so far is ldd'ing the apps and figuring out
> what needs to be installed and doing it by hand (yum install foolib.i686)

If those apps are available as rpm packages then you will get
better results leaving that "figuring out" to yum.  Even if you have
to download such package then

    yum localinstall ./<some_package>.rpm

is likely to do a better job than you.  Possibly add --nogpgcheck if
signatures/keys are missing.  A popular exception is
flash-plugin.i386.  Even if it is available as an rpm package you
need to additionaly install alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i686, which will
bring on more libs through dependencies, before this will get sound
on a 64-bit installation. Only that alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i686 is
present in "standard" Fedora x86_64 repos.  No yum configuration
changes of any kind are needed.

>   Over time, I imagine the need to run 32 bit apps will go away .. at
> least I hope so.

If this is open source you should be better off recompiling and
repacking those "extras" yourself instead of relying on unknown
binaries.

>   I do NOT need a full install of 32 bit stuff .. just runtime libs

nss-tools package does not provide any of those; just a bunch of
utilities.

   Michal