Grrr... modprobe.conf

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Mon Sep 20 10:28:11 UTC 2010

Tom Horsley <horsley1953 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> After all these years, something from the fedora repos
> (the only ones I have active in my F14 partition) is still
> creating an (empty) /etc/modprobe.conf file.

It's definitely not the system-config-network bug, since that's now fixed in
everything except F12, and even that has a fixed version in updates-testing.
Also, the permissions of the modprobe.conf that bug generates are 644, not 666.

> Maybe abrtd should add a special inotify thread that
> watches /etc/ for a modprobe.conf file being created .

If you can't track it down from the creation time, you could try running a
several-line script that checks for the file once per second and notifies you
when it's created. Or, if you can reproduce it in a VM with the same package
set, you could remove package groups until you find what's causing it.