VirtualBox-OSE and F14

Joachim Backes joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Wed Sep 22 09:13:35 UTC 2010

On 09/22/2010 10:53 AM, Andre Robatino wrote:
> Jóhann B. Guðmundsson <johannbg <at> gmail.com> writes:

>>> Right. This isn't a Fedora package.
>>>
>>> (The problem is that it hasn't been rebuilt against Python 2.7, BTW. I
>>> imagine there's some kind of problem with this, or it would probably
>>> have happened already.)
>>
>> The recommended procedure when testing virtual images is to use the
>> virtual solution(s) we ship.
>>
>> I'm a bit curios on why so many of you choose to use VirtualBox instead
>> of the Virtual Machine Manager.
>>
>> Do you think that Virtual Machine Manager is to hard and to complicated
>> to use?
>>
>> Are there any specific features that Virtual Box has which Virtual
>> Machine Manager does not?
>
> VirtualBox seems much more polished. For me, compared to VirtualBox, KVM guests
> are sluggish (I have AMD-V enabled in the BIOS), sound doesn't work (I haven't
> checked if there's an existing bug), and there doesn't seem to be anything
> corresponding to VB's guest additions, so I can't copy and paste between the
> host and the guest (which is aggravating when the guest is so slow but I have to
> bring up a browser in it when using fedora-easy-karma). Unfortunately,
> VirtualBox usually doesn't work for test releases (14 and Rawhide), so I use
> VirtualBox for 12 and 13, and virt-manager for 14 and Rawhide.

Hi Andre,

if you mean: VirtualBox-OSE, ok.  But, *as workaround*, I was successful
in downloading the Fedora 13 version of VirtualBox rpm from
virtualbox.org and installing this rpm (using --nodeps because of some
dependency problems). It runs, even with no PAE kernels :-)

Kind regards

Joachim Backes

--
Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>