How to change the gdm-greeter background in F14?

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Fri Sep 24 15:50:01 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-09-24 at 10:42 +0200, Joachim Backes wrote:
> in F13, I can change the gdm-greeter background by klicking with right
> mouse button in my desktop, saying "Change dektop background", select
> some  background picture and press "make default", so that picture was
> taken for the gdm-greeter too.
>
> I miss that feature in F14 - how to achieve this in F14? Can I do this
> by gconf-editor?

The gconf keys are in /desktop/gnome/background.  The tricky part is
getting them set either as a system default
(/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.system).  You should be able to do this with
gconftool-2:

gconftool-2 --direct --config-source=xml:merged:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.system ...

I don't recommend using gconf-editor's "New Defaults Window" feature.
Unless something has changed in F14, that feature writes
to /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults, which is meant for application
defaults and should not be modified in this way.  That ought to be filed
as a bug, but I haven't done so.

--
Matt