F-14 Branched report: 20100923 changes

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 16:44:43 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 07:21:21AM +0200, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 9:47 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 14:21:12 -0400,
> >  Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Rather than a guideline, Andrew, would you just consider summarising the
> >> important changes for the rpm changelog from now on?
> >
> > For myself, I like to note the more important changes and provide a link
> > back to a detailed list if upstream provides one.
> >

> In this case I am upstream and believe me, that _was_ the abbreviated version.
> I can certainly look to reduce it further, but I find that it
> shortcuts a lot of "what changed" questions.

Perhaps Bruno's suggestion to do something like:

* Fix numerous issues in foobar's parser and renderer including one
  potential segfault and numerous places where random characters would show
  up on the screen.  For details see:
  http://www.foobar.org/docs/changelog#1.0

would be best here.  end users are always going to want to know if their
particular bug was fixed but too much extraneous information is as bad as
too little.  If you can mention just enough specifics so that the
"try-it-and-see" people can say, ah ha, I was seeing those symptoms, let me
see if this works will be happy.  If you make it easier to visit the link
for complete details than it is to send you an email then those who want to
be sure that their issue has been resolved before they update will also get
what they want without bothering you.

-Toshio