SSH keys broken?

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Thu Sep 30 14:46:17 UTC 2010

On 01/10/10 00:33, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 09:16 -0400, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 00:17, Steven Haigh<netwiz at crc.id.au>  wrote:
>>> In the last couple of days I've noticed that any host that I usually
>>> connect to via SSH with a shared key authentication still prompts me for
>>> a password.
>>
>> 1) Are permissions ok? Home directory needs to be 755 and .ssh needs
>> to be 700. Second check to see if something changed the attrs on the
>> directories or files
>>
>> lsattr .ssh
>> ls -Z .ssh
>
> Steven, are they actually prompting for your *login password*, or is it
> the passphrase for your ssh key? The two would indicate different
> problems.

Ahhh - Interesting. Instead of ~/.ssh/identity being used, I needed to
symlink ~/.ssh/id_rsa to ~/.ssh/identity.

The weird thing is that my setup of using ~/.ssh/identity has worked
perfectly for many years - but has only now stopped.

Has this been a change in ssh or something else I'm not aware of?

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au
Web: http://www.crc.id.au