F15 and GNOME 3

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 14:57:17 UTC 2011

On 04/05/2011 06:36 PM, JB wrote:

> But I did not expect the obvious screwup with the menu system - you would think
> it would be impossible from a bunch of devs who delivered by now a mature
> DE like GNOME 2).
> I hope they reflect and change that part - it should be easy and not affecting
> the underlying architecture, as the one "misdeveloped" menu system already
> exists, but in the wrong place and misconstrued.
> I am hopeful.

FWIW,  I don't think it is a "obvious screwup".  It is a different
design which some users would like and others wouldn't and telling
upstream to go ahead and completely scratch it out and go back to 2.x
menu is not going to go down well especially since they are very close
to a release.  If someone cares deep enough for hierarchical menus,
they should go write a extension to do what they want to do and the best
thing for GNOME Shell at this point is for a ecosystem of add-ons to
flourish like Firefox.  Since GNOME Shell uses Javascript, CSS etc,
that is not a far off comparison.

Keep a eye on

https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Extensions

The feedback in test list is only useful if it can be reported as a
straight forward bug but this one is fairly subjective opinion and won't
be very useful in achieving the change you desire.

Rahul